Have you ever had one of those nights where you just want soup for a meal? Or maybe soup's all you've got time for. If so, you've got to try this chunky salmon chowder! It really eats like a meal - even James, who's an almost bottomless pit, got full off this soup. I certainly didn't mind. Afterall, the soup took a mere 30 minutes to make and has plenty of hidden vegetables. The soup makes them harder to find, and they add a nice flavor, especially with the mirepoix. You could even serve up this chunky chowder in a bread bowl if you're feeling fancy. :)
Yield: 4 servings
|3||carrots, cut into coins|
|3 stalks||celery, cut into slices|
|1 cup||cheddar cheese, shredded|
|2 cups||milk||I used whole.|
|1 teaspoon||black pepper|
|2||large potatoes, diced|
|water or stock|
|2 cups||mixed vegetables, diced||I used carrots, green beans, peas, corn, and lima beans.|
- Gather all materials.
- Melt butter in large pot.
- Add carrots, celery, and onion, then cook until fragrant.
- Sprinkle on flour, and cook until flour golden.
- Add stock and potatoes, and cook until potatoes almost tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add in remaining materials, simmering until salmon cooked through and chowder thickens to desired thickness.