I had seen a recipe similar to this one for a quick peach crisp, but I didn't have any peaches around, so I thought I'd try it with apples for an apple crisp. Although it is not as good as a real apple crisp, it will do for those times when you're in a rush, but want to make an apple crisp. It's also a bit healthier than most apple crisp recipes I've seen. It's a quick and easy recipe that takes about 15 minutes. After you're finished eating the apples, the remaining oatmeal soaks up the leftover juices for a sweet and healthy ending.
|1 cup||brown sugar|
|1.5 cups||oatmeal, toasted|
|1/2 cup||nuts, chopped||optional|
- Melt butter in a pot, and add brown sugar, stirring occasionally.
- While brown sugar is cooking, core apples and cut into slices.
- Mix cinnamon and nutmeg (as well as any other spices) into the brown sugar/butter mixture.
- Once brown sugar is melted, add apple slices.
- Stir to mix well, making sure that all the apples are well coated with the brown sugar mixture.
- Once the apples are cooked to the desired softness, pour the entire contents of the pot into a serving dish and top with toasted oatmeal and/or nuts.