It’s said that variety is the spice of life, and of course, the selection of a novel entrée is no different. I find myself focusing on every other permutation of main dish, side dish, and salad but often lose sight of the desserts. Maybe it was the way I was raised, but I rarely make desserts, which is not to say that I don’t enjoy eating them. Lately, we've been getting a lot of pears, so I decided to roll up my sleeves and look for a sweeter treat. That's when I found this recipe on The Charm of Home and decided to give it a try. This super easy recipe is sure to make pears that much more delightful. And then, after you've had the pears, you can further thicken the sauce into a wine jelly! Don't you love it when a recipe makes two things in one? I know I do!
Red Wine Poached Pears by Morsels of Life
A sweet juice-laden pear infused with a red wine sauce, then coated with a slightly tangy reduction.
Prep time: 1 minute
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 21 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 pears
- 1.5 cups red wine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, powder
- Combine all materials except pears, then heat and stir until sugar dissolved.
- Add the pears and bring to a boil, then decrease heat and simmer until pears soft.
- Remove pears, but continue to reduce the sauce. Once sauce reaches desired consistency, pour over pears and serve.
- If desired, the leftover sauce can be reduced even more to form a wine jelly. James used it for PB&J, but I'm sure you can be more creative.
Linked to: These Chicks Cooked, Tuesdays at the Table, Tuesday Talent Show, Tasty Tuesday Party