Crab Rangoons are a nearly ubiquitous appetizer at American Chinese restaurants, especially take outs. A combination of cream cheese and crab (or krab) meat, sometimes with a bit of garlic and scallions fills a wonton wrapper. The wonton wrapper is then sealed and deep fried. Although I like crab rangoons, I'm not a fan of deep frying, especially at home. Generally speaking, I just don't think it's worth the effort. I realize some things, like doughnuts, should be fried, but fortunately, you can bake Crab Rangoons in your kitchen now - without the hassle of frying!
The history of Crab Rangoons is quite unclear. Cream cheese isn't something generally available in China. Thus, Crab Rangoons are probably not actually of Chinese origin. In fact, I've never actually seen cream cheese anywhere in Asia. Some hypothesize that Trader Vic's may have invented the Crab Rangoon, and it's been on their San Francisco menu since at least 1957.
Give these Crab Rangoons a try and see what you think! I know I didn't miss the deep frying, and that little bit of oil you spray on the wonton wrappers gives them a bit of the fried feel without all the grease and mess of actually deep frying. I used a Misto to spray the wrappers, and I'd recommend it, but any sprayer should work.
Crab Rangoons by Morsels of Life
Try these baked Crab Rangoons as a faster, easier, and healthier alternative to the traditional deep fried version.
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Yield: 10 servings
- 20 wonton skins
- 16 ounces crab meat, cooked
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cream cheese (Low-fat works just as well.)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 green onion, sliced (garnish)
- 1 tablespoon sour cream (optional)
What's your favorite (alternative) appetizer?
- Spray both sides of each wonton wrapper with oil and press lightly into a muffin tin. (I'd recommend the Misto.)
- Bake at 375F about 7 minutes, and wonton skins should be crispy.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining materials (except crab) and mix well.
- Gently mix in crab.
- Spoon filling into wonton shell.
- (optional) Bake for 3 minutes to warm up entire Crab Rangoon.
- Garnish with green onions.