I posted about Tomato Soup a bit ago, but James found it lacking in "stuff," so I thought I'd add some texture this time. While the Tomato Soup was tasty, I think it's more suited for serving along with a grilled cheese sandwich or pizza. Meanwhile, this soup can stand on its own. I also tried it without the beans, but I think it goes better with black beans - just adding a bit more texture and substance. Another option could be throwing in some corn kernels too. Then it'd almost be like making a salsa soup. Tasty! If you opt to use beans, make sure to pre-cook them since the tomatoes will prevent the beans from softening up in a reasonable amount of time. They will still eventually soften up, but it will take much, much longer.
by CJ Huang
A sweetly savory tomato soup with sun-dried tomatoes, onions, and black beans.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoeschopped (I'd recommend the kind without oil.)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (or a larger quantity of tomato sauce or soup)
- 1 cup black beans, cooked
- If you’re diligent, you can saute the garlic, onions, and chili pepper flakes until the onions are translucent and it’s all fragrant. If you’re more into quick and easy, just combine all the materials bring to a boil.
- Keep at a simmer until everything is cooked and flavors melded.
- Garnish with cilantro, if desired.