After making the Cheddar Cheese Crackers, I thought I would try making another favorite - Wheat Thins. Even though the Cheddar Cheese Crackers were easy to make, I have to say, these Wheat Crackers are even quicker and easier to make. Once you've tried these Wheat Crackers, there's really not much reason to go buy another box! Not only do you get to control what goes into each cracker, you can customize to your heart's desire. Just like the Cheddar Cheese Crackers, all you have to do is put all the materials into a food processor and pulse a few times then roll out the dough. You'll want to get it as uniform as possible so that the crackers will cook evenly. It doesn't need to be perfect, but if you're having a lot of trouble, some rolling pin rings could be helpful. Once the dough is rolled out, you're ready to cut into squares. I just rolled the dough out on a Silpat and gently pushed the duller side of a butter knife through the dough to form squares. You could use the sharp side of an actual knife as well, but I didn't want to damage the Silpat. They are fine to bake so close together since they don't expand when baking. Now you're ready to bake! Just pop them in for around 5 minutes and they'll be ready to eat!
Yield: lots, but they go quick!
|1.25 cups||whole wheat flour|
|1/2 teaspoon||salt||plus some for sprinkling|
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, paprika, and butter in food processor and pulse to mix thoroughly.
- Add vanilla and pulse a few more times.
- Add water slowly, while pulsing, until the dough just begins to stick.
- Roll out dough into a thin, uniform layer about 1/16-1/8 inches thick.
- Sprinkle a bit of salt on top, and cut into squares.
- Bake at 400F until crispy - about 5 minutes. (The crackers will crisp up a bit more as they cool.)