I was thinking that it had been a while since I had breadsticks, and with the instant flour mix, these were quick, easy, and delicious! It took less than 30 minutes to go from raw materials to finished product. All you have to do is mix, roll, cut, and bake. It doesn't get too much easier than this recipe for making delicious, customizable breadsticks. When I made these, I used quite a bit of cheese because I like the cheesy flavor, but you could easily make it with less cheese or even completely change the flavors. Cinnamon and sugar might be a good combo for desserts. Another popular option might be the cheesy, garlicky breaksticks you can get as a side from most pizza places. Give these a try, and let me know what you think!
|2 cups||instant flour mix|
|1 teaspoon||black pepper|
|grated cheese||I used Pecorino Romano, but Parmesan could be another good option.|
|red pepper flakes||optional|
- Stir together instant flour mix, water, pepper, and cheese until a soft dough forms.
- Roll the dough out to about 0.5-0.75 inch thickness.
- Sprinkle with additional cheese, pepper flakes, and any other desired seasonings, then gently press in. I initially tried to sprinkle too much cheese on at this point, so I ended up folding the dough and then re-rolling it out so that the cheese would stick. If you want a significant cheesy flavor, you'll likely have to mix quite a bit of the cheese into the actual dough.
- Cut dough into approximately 1 inch strips, and then gently twist.
- Bake at 450F until golden brown.