I had one remaining eggplant, and using the baked stuffed tomatoes as an inspiration, I thought I would try a similar idea with eggplant. While eating this eggplant, I felt it would go well with spaghetti or marinara sauce because of the oregano and Italian seasonings. Although the eggplant did not turn out exactly as I had planned, they were still very tasty and delicious. If I had been more patient and waited for some caramelization to occur, it would have tasted even better!
|1||eggplant||I used a Spanish eggplant.|
|1 clove||garlic, minced|
|1 tablespoon||Italian seasoning||or Italian Dressing seasoning|
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise and scoop out insides, leaving approximately a 0.5 - 0.75 inch shell.
- Heat oil with minced garlic and diced onions until slightly caramelized.
- Add chopped eggplant insides, diced tomatoes, seasonings, and cook until thickened.
- Fill eggplant shells with mixture and top with wedges of tomato and onion.
- Place eggplant in baking dish and add about a half inch of water to the baking dish.
- Bake at 350F until tomatoes and onions are well roasted (or caramelized, if desired).