I wasn't sure what to do with the plantain that was left after making maduros asados, and I wanted to try something new. I found Alton Brown's recipe for fried plantains, so I thought I'd give it a try - but of course, I had to make my usual edits. :P
- Peel and cut the plantain diagonally into approximately 0.5 - 0.75 inch thick slices.
- Heat oil and garlic in pan. The amount of garlic used depends on your preferences. I used about 2 tablespoons of minced garlic. You could also use roasted garlic oil instead.
- Add plantains, making sure to cook both sides.
- Once plantains are finished cooking, let them sit for a few minutes on a paper towel to soak up the excess oil.
- Coat the plantains in bread crumbs.
- Serve, or for more crispy plantains, bake. They can also be pre-made and then reheated just before eating.